Countdown to the 70th World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland
The 70th World Health Assembly (WHA) will take place in Geneva, Switzerland, 22-31 May 2017. This decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO) determines the policies of WHO and approves the programme budget. The WHA has endorsed the six global targets for improving maternal, infant and young child nutrition, and the WHO Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of NCDs 2013-2020.
This year, the WHA will elect the new Director-General of the WHO and will see the attendance of many high-level representatives as part of the delegations from all WHO Member States, presenting an opportune moment for triggering and influencing nutrition discussions.
Nutrition-relevant discussions will be featured as part of the following provisional agenda items:
- 12.2 Antimicrobial resistance, Documents A70/12, A70/13 and EB140/2017/REC/1, resolution EB140.R5
- 15.1 Preparation for the third High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases, to be held in 2018, Documents A70/27 and EB140/2017/REC/1, resolution EB140.R7
- 15.4 Outcome of the Second International Conference on Nutrition, Document A70/30
- 15.5 Report of the Commission on Ending Childhood Obesity: implementation plan, Document A70/31
- 15.6 Cancer prevention and control in the context of an integrated approach Document A70/32
- 16.1 Progress in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Document A70/35
- 16.3 Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health (2016–2030): adolescents’ health, Document A70/37
Nutrition related events
On the margins of the WHA, several nutrition relevant side-events and technical briefings are to be held. Details of the different events are available here.
This also includes a side-event to be held 24 May and co-organised by Women Deliver, the NCD Alliance and the SUN Movement Secretariat, which will focus on the rising toll of diabetes in pregnancy.
We encourage SUN Government Focal Points to take advantage of this opportunity and suggest you to urgently liaise with your national representatives attending the 70th WHA in Geneva, to ensure nutrition is highlighted by your country delegation during the WHA discussions. Please note that participants must register to attend these events and briefings.
This 70th WHA presents an opportunity to all countries and stakeholders to showcase your new SMART commitments and the success of impactful actions under the United Nations Decade of Action on Nutrition (2016–2025) and to increase the visibility, coordination, efficiency and effectiveness of nutrition action at all levels across the world.
Learn more about the event: http://apps.who.int/gb/e/e_wha70.html