International Symposium on Sustainable Food Systems for Healthy Diets and Improved Nutrition
On 1 December 2016, the International Symposium on Sustainable Food Systems for Healthy Diets and Improved Nutrition was opened at the Headquarters of the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) in Rome, Italy. The event organised by FAO and the World Health Organization (WHO) explored policies and programme options for shaping the food systems in ways that deliver foods for a healthy diet, focusing on concrete country experiences and challenges.
The symposium took a systems approach and concentrated on three main sub-themes:
- Supply side policies and measures for increasing access to healthy diets.
- Demand side policies and measures for increasing access and empowering consumers to choose healthy diets.
- Measures to strengthen accountability, resilience, and equity within the food system.
Special events taking place
- King Letsie III of Lesotho was appointed as FAO Special Ambassador for Nutrition.
- On the second day, Jenny Chandler, renowned cook and FAO Ambassador for the International Year of Pulses, Peter Menzel award-winner photographer and Faith D’Aluisio, writer and editor, engaged an audience in a talk on healthy eating and a visual journey across the world’s food habits.
- Her Majesty Queen of Spain and FAO Special Ambassador for Nutrition will participate in the special events of the second day.
Visit the syposium website to find out more.