Nepal learning exchange fosters mutual support across SUN Civil Society Alliances
From 17-20 July 2017, a SUN Civil Society Network (SUNCSN) Nepal Learning Exchange brought together representatives from nine countries where Civil Society Alliances are thriving in the region: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan and Philippines.
The Learning Exchange responded to SUNCSN learning needs and reflected on previous face-to-face learning exchanges. The ultimate goal of the event was to foster peer to peer learning and mutual support across civil society alliances. For this reason, the four-day exchange included a focus on the development of long term work plans and collaboration mechanisms.
Civil Society organizations have always been vital in communicating the collective voice of communities to decision makers, you are the “eyes and ears” of society.”
Dr. Kiran Regmi, Secretary, Ministry of Health, opening remarks.
The programme was funded by the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and focused on four areas of experience:
- Decentralization and establishment of district chapters of the Civil Society Alliance for Nutrition, Nepal (CSANN) and policy review at the subnational level.
- Citizens’ engagement and public hearings: Successful approaches to citizens’ mobilisation and raising voices to influence decision makers at all levels from the community to national or international level.
- Budget Advocacy: Co-organized by CSANN and Civil Society Alliance Pakistanb (CSA-PAK), a review of challenges and opportunities in conducting a budget analysis exercise, required resources and tools for success.
- Breast Milk Substitute (BMS) Monitoring: A Cambodia, Myanmar and Philippines learning module on how to monitor, report and follow-up on BMS code violations.
Click here to view the agenda.
Related links to the Nepal Learning Exchange
- Read a blog by Sylvia Szabo and Devendra Raj Singh: Tackling malnutrition in South Asia: regional efforts scale up through “Learning Exchange”
- The Himalayan Times: Learning exchange programme under way
- My Republica: CSANN organizing four-day event on malnutrition
- Access useful resources from the Nepal Learning Exchange at the SUN Civil Society Network Blog
— SUN Civil Society (@SUNCSN) July 19, 2017