Strengthening the capacity of SUN countries with a learning route in Peru
From 8 to 14 September 2014, participants from the SUN countries of Tanzania, Senegal, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Laos, El Salvador and Guatemala were hosted by the government of Peru as part of pilot ‘Learning Route’ programme. The countries met to learn more about the strategies and mechanisms put in place by Peru to fight child malnutrition and explore ways that the Peruvian experience may be relevant to their countries. Implemented by the PROCASUR Corporation, the route was an active collaboration between Peru’s Ministry of Development and Social Inclusion (MIDIS), the participants of visiting countries and the SUN Movement Secretariat as part of a two part pilot programme taking place this year.
The seven day programme in Peru included presentations, workshop sessions and field visits. All activities were focused around two thematic areas:
- The institutional coordination required to design and articulate social policies to address chronic child malnutrition
- Implementation of a financial mechanism that links budget allocation systems with service delivery goals and outcomes
SUN country teams included actors from government, civil society and the private sector who contribute to national multi-stakeholder platforms for nutrition. Some participants have shared their experience through blogs including:
- We arrived with questions and we head home with many ideas
Dr. Phoxay Chandavone, Lao PDR
Deputy Director General, Hygiene-Health Promotion Department, Lao PDR Ministry of Health and SUN Government Focal Point.
- El sorprendente pueblo peruano
Néstor Deras, El Slavador
Intersectorial Coordinator of the Food and Nutrition Security National Council (CONASAN).
- My Learning Experience in Peru
Dr. Joyceline Kaganda, Tanzania
Acting Managing Director of the Tanzania Food and Nutrition Centre, an institution affiliated with the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare.
- Nuevas experiencias, mejores resultados
Karin Yesennia Tuquer Tuquer, Guatemala
San Juan Civil Society Youth Network Sacatepequez.
- Aprendiendo de los retos que el Perú enfrenta contra la desnutrición
An intense and valuable experience
Edgardo Sara Muelle, Peru
Director of Social Policy Planning, Ministry of Development and Social Inclusion (MIDIS).
The Learning Route in Peru is part of a pilot programme that aims to provide SUN countries with a face-to-face learning experience, to increase multi-stakeholder access to innovative tools and to strengthen relationships between countries to increase their capacity for scaling up nutrition. The programme is supported with SUN Movement MPTF funding. The first route was held in Senegal in April this year.
Read further articles
- Reduccion de la desnutrition infantil ayacucho es un modelo internacional
- Peru atrae atencion mundial exito lucha contra desnutricion infantil
- Noticia destacan exito programas sociales contra-desnutricion
- MIDIS Movimiento para Fomento-de-nutricion visitan cases saludables y Cuna Mas en Ayacucho
- Participantes extranjeros de la ruta SUN conocieron logros de Peru para reducir la desnutricion cronica infantil
- Peru deemed a success in fighting child malnutrition
- Peru hosts UN conference on tackling child hunger
- JUNTOS particpa en ruta apprendizaje SUN-Peru
Watch official broadcasts