Nourishing a Sustainable Future
In 2017 – for the first time – the SUN Movement Global Gathering took place in a SUN Country – Côte d’Ivoire. Abidjan welcomed members of the SUN Movement and hosted proceedings to share their inspirational progress and encourage global collaboration in the fight against malnutrition.
The SUN Global Gathering brought together all SUN Government Focal Points and representatives of their partners from civil society, donors, United Nations agencies, private sector partners, academia, media, parliamentarians and others. It is the flagship event of the SUN Movement and an important moment where members take stock of progress and challenges, share their innovations and learn what is helping to reduce malnutrition across all SUN Countries. It is a moment for every actor to be energised and encouraged through sharing, learning and finding ways to take their fight against malnutrition to the next level.
• 9:00 – 12:00 OPENING CEREMONY & PLENARY 1: “Setting the Scene: Improved nutrition in all its forms – the engine of Sustainable Development” (webcast)
• 12:00 – 14:00 Market Place Inauguration
1. What are the criteria and characteristics of “good” national nutrition plans? From theory to practice.
2. How can SUN Countries integrate early childhood development approaches into nutrition policies, programmes and interventions?
3. How can the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition help to harmonise our efforts in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals?
4. Translating policy into investment and implementation for improved nutrition: what are SUN Countries main lessons from parliamentary engagement?
5. Sharing knowledge, methods, and experiences on implementation: How can SUN Countries better implement priority actions?
6. How can small and medium enterprises be supported to help improve nutrition outcomes?
• 16:30 – 18:00 PLENARY 2: “What can we learn from SUN Countries who are adapting their national nutrition planning processes to respond to fragile and crisis contexts?” (webcast)
• 9:00 – 10:00 PLENARY 3: SUN Movement Annual Progress Report 2017 launch (webcast)
1. How can food systems be transformed for improved nutrition and sustainability?
2. How can nutrition champions help to boost the salience of nutrition?
3. How can SUN Countries achieve results and impact through the alignment of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene policies with policies and
plans for good nutrition?
4. How can nutrition modeling tools be used most effectively to inform nutrition advocacy, programming and costing?
5. What does scaling up nutrition look like in practice? Sharing Stories of Change and Improvement in Nutrition.
6. How can different stakeholders in nutrition develop impact and trust by working together?
• 14:30 – 15:30 PLENARY 4: “What can be gained by investing in the implementation of nutrition actions?” (webcast)
• 16:00 – 17:00 SUN Government Focal Points
• 17:00 – 18:00 SUN Government Stakeholder Capacity-Building Sessions
• 16:30 – 18:00 SUN Network and Support System Sessions
– SUN Business Network
– SUN Donor Network
– Inter-Network Sessions
– Parliamentary and Media Engagement Session
• 19:00 – 20:00 PLENARY5: Scaling Up Nutrition Nutrition Champions 2017 Awards Ceremony (webcast)
• 9:00 – 10:00 PLENARY 6: “MEAL in practice: How can our Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning system shape the SUN Movement?” (webcast)
1. How can the financial tracking process for nutrition be optimised to get best nutrition value for money?
2. What are the roles of traditional and social media in breaking nutrition out of its echo chamber?
3. Ensuring nutrition results for women and girls: what does it take to move from lip service to action?
4. How can SUN Countries advance priorities in operationalising the nutrition data revolution?
5. What can be done to improve and protect nutrition outcomes in fragile contexts?
6. What is the role of bio fortification and staple food fortification in combatting hidden hunger?
• 14:30 – 16:00 Global Gathering Wrap Up: Concluding Messages and Closing Ceremony (webcast)
The SUN Movement Global Gathering will take place from 7-9 November 2017 in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. The event is by invitation only, however, plenary sessions will be webcast live for global audiences to take part and contribute to the dialogue via social media with #SUNGG17.
Nutrition champions are integral to building and sustaining political commitment for nutrition. Around the world, high profile people are making nutrition a matter for everyone, everywhere. First Ladies, Prime Ministers, actors, artists, musicians, athletes, religious and traditional leaders are all galvanising political commitment and raising mass awareness. This year, the SUN Movement Nutrition champion awards will be issued to women and men who have made an outstanding contribution to scaling up nutrition. Read More
Côte d’Ivoire has been a member of the SUN Movement since 2013 and has made significant progress in coordinating multiple stakeholders to scale up nutrition. Hosting the 2017 SUN Movement Global Gathering represents an opportune moment to showcase the efforts being made across the country to fight against malnutrition in all its forms.