Tanzania Global Nutrition Report Country Launch 2016
On 20 July 2016, the Global Nutrition Report (GNR) was launched by the Vice President of Tanzania Mama Samia Suluhu in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The launch event was organized by the Partnership for Nutrition in Tanzania (PANITA).
The Government of Tanzania pledged to dramatically increase nutrition spending. Vice President Samia Suluhu said that Tanzanian government is well concerned over nutrition issues, and that process to increase nutrition budget is already on progress so as to attain all sustainable development nutrition goals. Executive Director of PANITA also called on all public and private stakeholders to put more efforts in achieving the targeted nutrition goals by 2030.
“Although money set aside for this area has been small, various efforts and strategies employed have resulted to reduction, albeit small, in stunting in the country to 34 per cent. But after the country joined the scaling up nutrition movement, more money has been set aside to support these efforts.” – Vice President of Tanzania, Mama Samia Suluhu.
Featured speakers included:
• H.E. Samia Suluhu Hassani, Vice President of Tanzania
• Hon. Ummy Mwalimu, Minister of Health, Tanzania
• Biram Ndiyae, Nutrition Manager, UNICEF Tanzania
• Máire Mathews, Irish Aid
• Gayle Martine, Senior Economist, World Bank
• Hon. Dasntan Kitandula, Champion and Chair of the of Parliamentary Group on Nutrition, Food Security and Child Rights
• Dr. Joyceline Kaganda, Acting Managing Director of the Tanzania Food and Nutrition Centre
Learn more about the launch event here
Read the 2016 GNR