SUN stakeholder event: Global food and nutrition crisis
SUN stakeholder event: Global food and nutrition crisisJuly 18, 2022 - Last update: February 10, 2023
This roundtable was led by United Nations Assistant Secretary-General and Coordinator of the Scaling Up Nutrition Movement, Ms Gerda Verburg, and all SUN stakeholders were invited to participate.
It focused on sharing the latest knowledge related to current and anticipated impacts of the Ukraine war on SUN Countries -- including availability and costs of key food stocks such as wheat (and wheat products), and of fertilizers, etc. There was a special focus on key regions of Africa, which have been determined be "red zones" for potential impacts -- though the information shared can support informed decision-making in all countries.
It explored this topic from two angles:
1. Latest global trends that provide information for informed decision-making at the country level
2. Reports from SUN countries as to impacts already being felt, and actions that are and can be taken to mitigate the negative impacts of the global crisis on SUN Countries.
1. Scene setting -- Gerda Verburg, SUN Movement Coordinator, UNASG
2. Latest trade and production data in the global context -- wheat, fertilizers, seed, and related data/metrics -- Dr David Laborde, Senior Research Fellow in the Markets, Trade and Institutions Division and the Theme Leader on Macroeconomics and Trade, IFPRI
3. Latest trade and production data in the Africa context -- Dr. Apollos Nwafor, VP, Policy and State Capability, AGRA
4. East Africa Regional Update -- Gladys Mugambi, SUN Country Government Focal Point for Kenya
5. West Africa Regional Update -- Mary Mpereh, SUN Country Government Focal Point for Ghana
6. Open Q&A to with participants to gather country-level perspectives, observations, challenges, solutions