SUN Movement Strategy and Roadmap
Building the Next Phase of the SUN Movement 3.0 (2021 – 2025)
Substantial progress has been made in the development of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement Strategy 3.0, informed by the Mid-term Review in 2018, the Strategic Review in 2019-2020 and the 2019 Global Gathering. Building on these, the SUN Movement Executive Committee is leading the process to draft the strategy for phase three. The strategy development process is focused on transparency, openness and inclusiveness while also tackling the urgent need for greater pace in helping the nutrition community navigate the new COVID landscape in speaking with greater resolution, clarity, unity and authority at this critical time. This is the time when SUN is most needed, and we need to continue to show its value.
A Movement-wide consultation on the 2019-2020 Strategic Review, helped inform an intense series of discussions amongst Executive Committee members over a four-week period in April and May 2020. Key topics discussed included: country engagement and ownership, the country and global structures needed, governance and accountability and the financing, positioning and communication of SUN Movement action. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the discussions were carried out virtually with the full engagement of all Executive Committee members and the involvement of the SUN Movement Secretariat (SMS) as well as the SUN Network facilitators.
The Executive Committee has established a Strategy Development Working Group that includes several SUN Country Focal Points and the SUN Coordinator. This Working Group is working closely with two independent facilitators to support the full Executive Committee in developing a focused set of strategic priorities within the framework of a draft strategy. The Executive Committee is taking full ownership of the draft strategy and every member of the Executive Committee as well as the networks and SMS have actively contributed to this draft.
- Read the terms of reference for the independent facilitators – click here
Once the draft is fully developed and translated, it will be shared widely for consultation across the Movement. (see timeline below). Responses from this consultation will help to shape a revised version of the draft strategy for discussion and eventual endorsement by the Lead Group. The feedback received will also be made available on the SUN Movement website whilst respecting confidentiality. Once the SUN Movement 3.0 strategy is endorsed, the focus will switch to its operationalisation and implementation.
As the implications of the COVID-19 global pandemic rapidly unfold, the Executive Committee is working virtually to ensure this critical process stays on track. The timeline for this process is as follows:
- 10 February: Executive Committee virtual meeting via teleconference. Summary Note: English
- 14 February to 15 March – dissemination of draft Strategic Review report and virtual Movement- wide consultations on the draft Strategic Review.
- 10 March – Executive Committee virtual meeting to discuss draft Strategic Review and consultation results.
- 12 March – Executive Committee virtual meeting, via teleconference. Summary Note: English
- 8 April: Executive Committee virtual meeting via teleconference. Summary Note: English
- 17 April: final Strategic Review report translated and disseminated to SUN Movement.
- 22 April – 13 May: Executive Committee small group discussions regarding phase three.
- July: First draft strategy written by the Executive Committee and translated
- 4 August – 4 September: Consultation with key SUN Movement stakeholders on draft strategy through regional virtual consultations and an online survey.
- September: Executive Committee to update draft strategy based on consultation results.
- TBC: Executive Committee sends proposed draft strategy to Lead Group for discussion and decision-making.
- Oct-Nov: Annual Lead Group meeting (to be held virtually).
SUN Movement Strategy and Roadmap (2016-2020)
The Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement Strategy and Roadmap (2016-2020) is the product of a consultative process that spanned SUN Countries, multiple United Nations (UN) and donor agencies, along with hundreds of international and national non-government organisations and businesses. It outlines the SUN Movement’s second phase and is focused on translating momentum into results for people who suffer due to malnutrition everywhere. It presents a practical vision of how we can all work together, toward our vision of a world without malnutrition by 2030.
SUN MOVEMENT STRATEGY (2012-2015)
In September 2012 the SUN Movement was comprised of 30 SUN countries and continues to expand. It is a country-driven Movement and builds on the progress achieved in country. The SUN Strategy 2012-15 is a summary of the Movement’s goals, objectives, mode of operation and accountability. It should be read in conjunction with the 2012 SUN Road Map which describes, in greater detail, how SUN countries are scaling up nutrition and the support they can expect to receive to accelerate their achievements. Operating plans and investment frameworks are to be developed annually: they will include activities, results, targets and milestones for each objective within the strategy.
SCALING UP NUTRITION - A FRAMEWORK FOR ACTION (REPRINT 2011)
The Framework for Action has two main purposes. The first is to provide an outline of the emerging framework of key considerations, principles and priorities for action to address undernutrition. The second is to mobilize support for increased investment in a set of nutrition interventions across different sectors. Thus, the intended audience is principally policymakers and opinion leaders, rather than nutrition specialists.
The document is organized as follows:
• Why A Major Focus Now on Reducing Undernutrition?
• A Multi-Sectoral Approach
• Scaling Up a Set of Direct Nutrition Interventions
• Benefits of Scaling Up the Set of Interventions
• Moving To Action
Scaling Up Nutrition – A Framework for Action (reprint 2011)