SUN Movement Coordinator
In March 2016, United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon announced the appointment of Gerda Verburg from The Netherlands, as Coordinator of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement and United Nations Assistant Secretary-General.
Ms. Verburg holds extensive and broad experience from politics and international cooperation.
- In 2007 to 2010, she served as Minister of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality for the Government of the Netherlands.
- In 2008, she was elected Chair of the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD 17).
- From 2011 to 2016, she served as Permanent Representative of the Netherlands to the UN United Nations Rome-based agencies: FAO, WFP and IFAD.
- In 2013, she was elected Chair of the United Nations Committee on World Food Security (CFS).
- In 2014 she was appointed Chair of the Agenda Council for Food and Nutrition of the World Economic Forum (WEF).
In 2021, during Year of Action for Nutrition, she also served in the following roles:
- Advisory Committee of the United Nations Food Systems Summit
- Nutrition for Growth Advisory Group
- Private Sector Guiding Group for the United Nations Food Systems Summit (led by World Business Council for Sustainable Development)
- Global Nutrition Report Steering Group
- World Economic Forum, Stewardship Board on Food Systems
- Food and Land Use (FOLU) Coalition Ambassador
In 2022, Ms Verburg has also served in the following roles:
- Global Crisis Response Group - Food Networking Group
As part of her SUN Coordinator role, she serves as a member of the SUN Movement Lead Group – the SUN Movement’s governance body – and as an ex officio member of the SUN Movement Executive Committee.
In May 2022, the SUN Coordinator announced that she would not be seeking a fourth term, though would continue to serve until her replacement was in office.
- During 2022, the SUN Movement Coordinator has visited: Mali, Côte d’Ivoire
- During 2021, the SUN Movement Coordinator was hampered in her ability to carry out her priority of country missions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite this, she visited: Malawi
- During 2020, the SUN Movement Coordinator has visited: Sierra Leone, Mauritania
- During 2019, the SUN Movement Coordinator visited: Ethiopia, Liberia, Côte d’Ivoire, Costa Rica, Peru, Mali, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Nepal, Honduras and El Salvador.
- During 2018, the SUN Movement Coordinator visited: Viet Nam, Zambia, The Gambia, Malawi, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Chad, Ethiopia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guinea and Niger.